Cuba is an interesting land that children will admire much earlier than adults. Children are not burdened with the history, politics, economy and geostrategic position of this Latin American country, which is why they are even more demanding as visitors. They do not care much about museums, tobacco plants, and rum. So what can Cuba in 14 days offer to a family with children, so that the trip will be unforgettable? The short answer is quality time at any moment in an exotic environment without the Internet and television at hand every second. Read our tips for traveling to Cuba with children in your own direction.
One of the child-friendly itineraries to travel around Cuba within 2 weeks following the recommendation of CubaFriendly is:
- arrival and stay in Havana for 3 days,
- transfer to Cienfuegos (2 days), visit Rancho Luna beach,
- transport to El Nicho natural park with natural freshwater pools (1 day),
- visit the city of Trinidad (3 days) with Ancon Beach,
- visit the Varadero peninsula (5 days) and
- finally, return to Havana and your departure flight.
When to visit Cuba?
Cuba has a pleasant climate throughout the year. The highest tourist season in Cuba is from December to February, when tourists from Europe, Russia, and the Americas arrive, who want to get a little warm from the winter. It is also winter in Cuba, but temperatures are then around 25 degrees Celsius. From June to September, Cuba has a rainy season, which means that an hour rains every other day. It’s also possible to survive when you are in Cuba with children. Especially since the sun sinks after the rain, which makes you forget about bad weather if it has appeared. During the rainy season, Cuba also has the highest temperatures around 33 degrees Celsius throughout the day. What is somewhat unusual for the Delphic population is a high degree of humidity. That’s why every room in Cuba has an air-conditioning system.
Is Cuba safe and family friendly?
In Cuba, there is an extremely large number of police, which is very laid back, friendly to the inhabitants and tourists. In the
When I withdrew my cash with the Visa credit card at the ATM in Trinidad, Cuba, a pencil dropped from my pocket. A local guy behind me waited for me to take the money out of the ATM, then I put it in my wallet, and put my wallet back in my pocket. Only then did he warn me of the lost pencil and picked it up for me from the ground.
There are no dangerous animals in Cuba. Cuba has tropical forest and sandy beaches, but there are no remarkable animals that would pose a greater risk to humans. In the sea, jellyfish, whose poison is quickly neutralized with vinegar from the nearby bistro. Sharks are avoiding beaches and shallow waters. According to some information, Cuba is on the list of countries where the dengue fever virus is raging, but the locals are only troubled by the latest tropical epidemics.
Despite the terrible news there is no harm from hurricanes, the sea is azure and the beaches are sandy white. Cuba is in a happy geographical position, and the storm is close. The locals are very sympathetic to American visitors and products like Apple, but they despise the American media for blaming the disaster news that has not occurred in Cuba.
Airline tickets to Cuba
Cheap air tickets to Cuba are best bought at least 4 months before the flight. At that time, the price of a return ticket amounts to about EUR 600 per family member in the economy class, with at least three meals included in one direction. Cuba airplane prices that you will find at Skyscanner, Kiwi.com, Kayak, Momondo or directly from airlines can be lower than EUR 600, but check that connecting times and flights will get too tired of your children. Traveling in one direction from the moment you enter your car, bus, taxi or Goopti, it can take up to 20 hours or more to reach Cuba.
Useful tips for traveling by plane
- book seats at least for years across the Atlantic. For a shorter connecting flight, you can save, as the airline needs to make sure that the minor child sits with the parent. Reservation of seats costs an additional € 100 for the whole family.
- In the economy class, the best seating positions are on the emergency exits as they have the largest legroom. However, children should not sit there, so try to book seats in the first class of the economy class, where there are no seats in front of it but the plane of the plane and there is a little more room for the legs (sleep).
- when buying online flights, make sure that you have provided the correct names of all family members before purchasing. The flight booking must be the same as on passports.
- You can use a regional carrier, a train, a bus, or your own carriage for the way to the airport. Own transport is often the most comfortable option for the family. Book a car at the airport or in the immediate vicinity at least 3 weeks before, for 2 weeks the parking price will be around EUR 70. Also, cheaper parking lots are also convenient, which are somewhat distant from the airport and lead you to the terminal with a van (shuttle).
- Attach a scroll-colored gift band to suit your suitcases so that your luggage will be immediately visible when it appears on the conveyor belt at major airports.
- A 4-member family will be able to bring about 100 kg of luggage to Cuba (according to the baggage policy of the selected air carrier). Take with you also some treats for people that you will only be introduced in Cuba, such as pencils, goblets, puzzles, notebooks, and so on. Do not forget that the average monthly salary is only EUR 20 and therefore do not all have access to new supplies.
- Take a hooded hoodie, air shoes and disinfecting handkerchiefs with you on your plane. Take a pop-up tent on the beach for all-day protection against UV rays. For a lasting memory, pack a waterproof digital camera with you to shoot your children in the water, along with some interesting tropical fish.
Visas and required documents to enter Cuba
To enter the Republic of Cuba you need a resident
Passports (only the identity card is not enough) should have a shelf life of 6 months after your visit to Cuba. At the border crossing at the airport, insert a visa in the passport and send it to the employee on the window. It will be necessary to put your face to the camera, which will record you into the system. A staff member will stamp a passport with a border crossing stamp at the airport.
Cheap accommodations – Casa Particular
In Cuba, locals are allowed to outsource their apartment or rooms to tourists. This type of installation is called “Casa particular”. Each room can have one, two or three beds, a toilet, a bathroom with shower, air conditioning and a refrigerator. What is all you need as a family on the go, as you will use the room mostly as a lodging and for occasional stops throughout the day. It is important for a room to have its own key and that it is as close as possible to the center of the city where you live, so that you have all the tours at your fingertips.